The Connaught Armoury was built in 1911 using a standard design for armouries and was used by the Defense Department until the mid 1960’s. For the next four decades the building was used for restaurants and night clubs which led to serious deterioration of the buildings structures and features. In 2008, the City of Edmonton awarded the use of the building to the Youth Emergency Shelter Society (YESS).
YESS commissioned the Workun Garrick Partnership to renovate the building for a new daytime youth drop-in center. The Workun Garrick Partnership worked with the City of Edmonton and Provincial Heritage departments to develop the technical specifications for a Rehabilitation Project under federal heritage guidelines.